Frequently Asked Questions
Chris' Daily Address
Costs, Payments, and Charges
Reshape The Nation Nutrition
- What is the Carb Cycle Lifestyle™?
- What are the NutriPhases?
- Why do you suggest we prepare our food in bulk?
- How should I store my food once it is prepared?
- What are the best tools for my transformation?
- What is STAX™?
- How do I portion my foods?
- How do I STAX™ portion bread and large fruit?
- Do I portion my foods in STAX™ before I cook them or after?
- Do I have to get a STAX™ System to follow the program?
- What are Reward Days?
- What are the rules for Reward Days?
- Why do we remove 'Reward' foods from the house, workplace and hiding spots?
- What 'Reward' foods should be removed from my house?
- What if I have kids and I cannot throw out the reward foods?
- What kind of foods can I eat that don't require any preparation?
- Is it expensive to eat healthy?
- Do you have any suggestions for eating at restaurants?
- Should I take pictures during my transformation?
Reshape The Nation Workouts
On the Weight Loss Journey
- It seems like I have to eat a lot of food. Do I have to eat so much?
- How long will it take for my body to get used to this much food?
- My weight loss has stalled. What do I do?
- In which NutriPhase will I lose the fastest?
- Will I gain weight when I 'Reset'?
- How much water should I be drinking?
- How do I curb my cravings?
- Why do healthy foods taste bland?
- What about artificial sweeteners?
- What do you mean by 'Reading the signs'?
- Other than weight, what are the 'signs' I need to watch for?
- When should I weigh myself?
- What is happening if I am losing inches but not weight?
Chris' Daily Address
Do you shoot the workout introductions daily?
I try to. Living in Phoenix, I cannot seem to wake up in time to launch the daily workout overviews early enough for the East Coast peeps… so I at least need to shoot them the night before. When our schedules get jammed with media and we have to travel, I may need to shoot the workout overviews a day or two in advance… but I'll still be following the nutrition and exercise schedule right there along with you &nash; we're in this together!
Why don't you loop the daily workout introductions?
I need you to know how much I care about you and your transformation. That's why I personally pre-shoot a new intro for every single day we are on this journey together. In addition, I will continue to change the workouts and the nutrition phases on a weekly basis to maximize your results… so I need to tell you what to expect each day as the workout and nutrition changes.
The best part is that we're in this together. Thousands of people are right there alongside you in the morning as you 'metaboost', and in the afternoons as you 'accelerate'. We all follow the nutrition phases together. We all transform together. We're here for you every day… no matter what.
Costs, Payments, and Charges
Is there a charge for the program?
YES! The charge for the program is $29.99 per month or 49.95 per quarter!
We had to calculate this cost for two very important reasons:
1) We needed to raise the money to build this new program, so we teamed up with business partners to make it happen. Building this new lifestyle program required a whole management team of people to put it together, designers, producers and programmers &nash; some of the best in the business. We've been building the new Reshape the Nation for over a year now, and will continue to develop it into the most comprehensive lifestyle program, which will cost a good amount to build… but it's worth it!
2) It is human nature to value things that we pay for. It is a fact! When you pay for this lifestyle, you will value the education and guidance SO much more, and will experience its life-changing results. I need for you to get results… to begin this lifestyle, there has to be a value to it!
However, in these tough economic times we are working on a solution where your friends and family can sponsor you for the program. That way they will be invested in your health and can be your added support system, to further enhance your lifestyle success. Stay tuned!
Will I be charged for the 2 Week QuickStart?
There is a $1.99 charge for the 2 week Quickstart part of the program. You have 2 weeks to try out the Quickstart, to prepare your body for the program. When you begin the full program, then your credit card will be charged for $29.99 for the first month.
Reshape The Nation Nutrition
What is the Carb Cycle Lifestyle™?
Essentially it's a continuous seesaw of high and low carbohydrate days that we alternate through. By offsetting the High Days with Low Days, the overall net result is a wonderfully balanced nutrition program. There are four different phases for cycling that I release weekly. But even better, using this pattern we can actually reap the metabolic boosting benefits of high carb days, and fat burning benefits of low-carb days &nash; for a nutrition structure that is much more effective than any static or stable nutrition program.
Carb balancing has actually been used in the fitness industry for years as the most effective way to change body composition. We just put a real-life twist on it, and the results speak for themselves &nash; Incredible permanent weight loss without crashing the metabolism ☺
What are the NutriPhases?
I have developed 4 different phases (or patterns) for your carb cycling &nash; some phases have more High days to focus on boosting metabolic rate and building muscle, some phases have more Low Days to focus on fat loss.
I will be announcing the NutriPhases every week, and you can also follow them on your Reshape Calendar.
Sometime you'll have several high days back to back, and sometime you'll have several low days back to back . Either way, this journey never ends. And I personally change the pattern we're all following each and every week, to keep your body 'guessing' and keep the pounds coming off. You wont know the pattern to expect and neither will your body…
Why do you suggest we prepare our food in bulk?
We prepare our food in bulk to guarantee our success. To maintain the weight loss lifestyle, we must eat the right foods at the right time &nash; every three hours.
Let's get real: For most of us it is far too difficult to prepare our food every three hours, so we must prepare our food in advance. When we prep our foods in bulk we are preparing for long-term success. The easiest way to prep is once every 4 days. Here at Reshape we prep on Wednesdays and Sundays, but you can select any two days of the week at least 3 days apart.
For those who have the ability and prefer to prepare foods daily, it works just as well… and your food is a bit warmer.
How should I store my food once it is prepared?
When we prepare our foods, we immediately portion and store them in their STAX containers. That way there is NO work to do for the next 4 days! Guaranteed success.
However, if you don't have STAX container, it is usually easiest to store your foods in large plastic 'tupperware-style' containers, and then place in the refrigerator.
What are the best tools for my transformation?
These are in no particular order:
- Foreman Grill
- Rice Cooker
- Veggie Steamer
- Toaster Oven
- Shaker Bottle
What is STAX™?
STAX™ is a system of color-coded portion control containers, a climate control carrier, and a countdown timer. It is an all-in-one nutrition system that portions, times, and carries your meals for the day. To STAX™ your new lifestyle, simply follow these 3 easy steps:
- Step 1: Pick your Recipes
Select and prepare your Reshape Recipes, and store in your STAX™ containers.
- Step 2: Portion Quick™
To portion your foods, just fill to your weight on the side of the colored containers. It's that easy.
- Step 3: Time and Go!
STAX™ at home: Set your STAX™ timer for meals every 3 hours and place on your refrigerator or countertop – STAX™ will keep you on track all day long!
How do I portion my foods?
- Just fill your foods to your current weight on the side of the STAX™ container.
- If you weigh more than 300 lbs, fill to the 300+ mark.
- Fill oils, dressings, butters halfway on the small containers.
- Fill nuts, avocado, & cheese to the top of the small containers.
How do I STAX™ portion bread and large fruit?
Just follow the chart below:
|Bodyweight||Breads/Tortillas||Whole Large Fruit|
|(in pounds)||(per meal)||(per meal)|
|100||1 slice||1 piece|
|150||1.5 slices||1.5 pieces|
|200||2 slices||2 pieces|
|250||2.5 slices||2.5 pieces|
|300+||3 slices||3 pieces|
Do I portion my foods in STAX™ before I cook them or after?
Portion your foods after you cook them! Except Egg whites… measure them before (the only eggception!)
Do I have to get a STAX™ System to follow the program?
No, but we use STAX™ to ensure your nutrition success. STAX™ is the tool that holds you accountable with each and every meal. Nutrition is the MAIN driving force behind your weight loss transformation, so I can't stress enough the importance of the right tools to ensure your success.
What are Reward Days?
'Reward Days' are days that you select throughout the week to indulge in comfort foods. Following the program we have Reward Days ranging from once a week, up to every other day… until you feel comfortable enough in the lifestyle to start making healthier choices. This way, you can never fail.
Let's get real: We have emotional and psychological need for comfort foods, and it's important that they play a major role in our new lifestyle. Most programs make the mistake of restricting foods. One of the most common reasons we fail on a weight loss program is because we feel deprived. We can only hold out for so long before we give in to fall back on our old habits and comfort foods. Along with this come feelings of guilt failure, and hopelessness.
So how's this for a life-long nutrition plan: If you cant have it today, you can always have it tomorrow. Sound pretty reasonable? Yeah, we like it too!
What are the rules for Reward Days?
- Reward days can only happen on High Days – after a healthy meal first.
- Keep it out of your house. Go to a restaurant or a convenience store. Again, keep it out of the house. For your own sake. Please keep it out of the house.
- You must reward yourself at least once per week, and up to every other day. But if you choose not to… awesome.
Why do we remove 'Reward' foods from the house, workplace and hiding spots?
Willpower is overrated. If it is in your house, you're going to eat it! Period.
I want a 100% chance of success. Get the 'sabotage' foods out of the house.
What 'Reward' foods should be removed from my house?
To be successful in any nutrition program, we need to remove the following 'Reward' foods from our house, workplace, and hiding spots. Don't worry, you can always eat them on your Reward Day. But in order to succeed, get em out of the house. We need to create an Environment for Success!
Reward foods to remove:
- Baked Goods
- Ice Cream
- Fried Foods
And remove all foods containing the following ingredients:
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Raw Sugar
- Corn Syrup
- Hydrogenated Oils
- Maple Syrup
- White Flour
- White Rice
- Hard Alcohol
What if I have kids and I cannot throw out the reward foods?
If you cant throw it out, keep all of your foods in a separate cupboard and on a separate shelf in the refrigerator. It's not the best case scenario, but it should also encourage you to share your newfound knowledge and lifestyle with the other members of your family. It may save their lives someday!
What kind of foods can I eat that don't require any preparation?
The following foods require little to no preparation, so they can be ready to go anywhere and anytime. They're also great when traveling -just swing by a grocery store as soon as you reach your destination. You'll save money too.
- Powdered proteins (whey, egg, soy and vegetable) are the easiest and least expensive way to get all of your daily protein requirements. They come already canned or in powdered form so you can carry them with you anywhere. You can substitute powdered proteins for any other protein on your nutrition plan. They come in many different flavors and taste like a milkshake… sort of. Most importantly, you can quickly "drink" your protein and still eat the carbs and fats without feeling too full.
- Cottage cheese is another quick and convenient protein. It can be eaten plain, combined with fruit, topped on a potato, substituted for sour cream in recipes, or sweetened with stevia.
- Canned foods are a quick and easy way to get your fish, chicken and beef. The quality is not quite as good as fresh food, but it can be prepared as quickly as you can open the can.
- Turkey, chicken or roast beef deli meat is already prepared and ready to go. Just try to get the thickest, freshest cuts, preferably directly from the deli.
- Fruit already comes in proper portion sizes. It is natural, tastes good and is the perfect way to rev up the metabolism first thing in the morning. Just be sure to eat your protein first or at least with the fruit.
- Low-fat bran cereals and low-fat granola are a great way to get your high-fiber grains and are perfect to snack on right out of the box, especially when you are traveling.
- Ezekiel bread is a hearty bread made from sprouted grains that you can find in the health food freezer of your grocery store. It comes as wraps, pita pockets, cereals and different flavors like cinnamon raisin and original.
- Beans/lentils are a fast and simple source of complex carbs and protein. Just open the can and enjoy. You can also have fun flavoring them with the spices and seasonings from the "Recipes" page.
- Yams/sweet potatoes are available from your neighborhood grocery store. Just poke through the skin with a fork or knife and put in the microwave for the directed amount of time – and you've got a perfect portion of complex carbs ready to go.
- Oatmeal can sometimes take a little while to cook on the stovetop, but you can also blend dry oatmeal with a whey protein shake. It's hearty, delicious and includes your protein for the meal too.
- Mixed salads come already bagged in the refrigerated produce section of your grocery store.
- Almost all veggies in the produce section of the grocery store are an incredible source of vitamins and minerals and should be eaten raw.
- Cheese is a great source of healthy fats. String or sliced cheeses are already perfectly portioned for your meal plan.
- Peanut butter is one of my favorites. Whenever you need some healthy fats to curb sweet and salty carbohydrate cravings, a tablespoon or two of good old-fashioned peanut butter (the kind that you have to mix in the oil on top) always hits the spot.
- Pecans, Almonds and Walnuts are the healthiest choice for nuts. Roasted or raw are the best choices for success. Smokehouse and other flavored almonds are loaded with sodium and will cause bloating.
- Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and goes great with protein, carbs, and veggies alike!
- Salad dressing always adds flavor to a salad. Just be sure to keep the amounts specific to your portions. Avoid the sugary and sweet dressings. Vinaigrettes are usually the healthiest choice.
Is it expensive to eat healthy?
Not at all! Eating healthy is actually MUCH cheaper than eating unhealthy. In fact, I eat for $4-8 a day… really.
Bulk Foods are the answer. By purchasing food in bulk online and at our local discount warehouse stores (Costco, Sam's Club, etc), we are able to keep our bodies full of healthy foods for a mere fraction of the price.
Do a quick-search for online bulk food retailers and find your nearest warehouse store, and you'll be well on your way to cheap eating too. Below are a few ideas of what you might expect when you begin your bulk food shopping…
When shopping online, look for:
- Whole, Complex Carbohydrates (all of our grains and legumes): a 3 month supply is about $25
- Protein Powder (for our protein shakes; mine and D's main protein source): a 3 months supply about $90. This comes out to about $0.20 per scoop – although necessary protein intake will vary with each individual, this could mean 2-5 shakes for a dollar!
When shopping at warehouse stores (Costco, Sam's Club, etc), look for:
- Frozen Cruciferous Vegetables (great for steaming): a 2 week supply will be around $14
- Poultry (we use frozen chicken breasts – nice and lean!): a 1 week supply is about $15
- Root Vegetables (we LOVE our sweet potatoes): a 2 weeks supply will be around $10
- Frozen and Fresh Fruits: a 2 week supply will cost you around $20
- Flavors and Seasonings (garlic, onion, cinnamon, or whatever you prefer): The cost of these is just cents per serving!
Although we have helped you realize the affordability of eating healthy, DON'T FORGET that we can't afford NOT to eat healthy. This is your life. This is your health. Feed your body what it really wants!
Do you have any suggestions for eating at restaurants?
By now, you should have a good understanding of how to portion your proteins, carbs, veggies, and fats. Simply use the 'hand portion' rules, or your approximate STAX™-sized portions. Most restaurant meals are high in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, added sugars and sodium. In addition, restaurant portions tend to be much larger than the necessary portions for your program. When dining out, follow these two simple rules to help stay on track:
Rule #1: Choose foods that have been grilled, baked, steamed or poached. Avoid all fried, breaded, sautéed, smothered or au gratin foods.
Rule #2: Request your toppings, dressings, sauces and other flavors on the side. This will help you control the extra fats, sodium and calories you eat.
Note: To keep portions smaller, split an entree with your dining partner or take half home.
Should I take pictures during my transformation?
Yes. One of the most wonderful gifts you can give yourself during this transformation is the proof of progression. Not only will this show off where exactly you came from, but also it will give yourself a more 'objective' perspective of your own body. Naturally, our eyes play tricks on us – what we see in the mirror is NOT reality.
Here are a few photo pointers to help you out:
Tip #1: Remember that these pics are just for YOU – unless, of course, you want to share them.
Tip #2: Wear clothing that will give you a FULL view of your body to allow you to SEE where the transformation is happening! Since you will be the only one seeing these, shorts and a sports bra may do the trick for you.
Tip #3: Snap shots from a few different angles – I personally like a front shot and a side/profile shot.
Tip #4: Use these pictures as daily reminders by placing printed copies of the pictures in a visible spot. Try inside your fridge, on your bathroom mirror, in your room, or the bottom of a drawer that is used often. And if you're REALLY proud to show them off, use it as your screen saver!
Tip #5: Take weekly pictures. You won't be able to see the changes on a day-to-day basis, but when the weekly pictures are lined up, you will be amazed at the transformation you are achieving.
Have fun clicking away! This will give you a whole new appreciation for how incredible your body REALLY is.
Reshape The Nation Workouts
What is Shape The States™?
Shape the States is a series of 50 workout 'Metaboosts' for each of our states, utilizing different combinations of the basic movement patterns of the human body: pushing, squatting, and crunching. Best of all, as we go through the movements I explain what is happening in your body every step of the way.
Each State Metaboost is followed by an 'accelerator' later in the day, designed to maximize fat oxidation (burning). As you 'Shape the States' you'll develop strength, muscle tone & endurance. But most importantly, you'll skyrocket your metabolism for maximum weight-loss and incredible energy throughout the day.
What are 'Metaboosts'?
The Meta-boost is the first thing we do in the morning, and it's exactly what it sounds like, it's a metabolic boost that WE create in our bodies through moving and eating! The movement part of the meta-boost only last about 10 minutes, and can be done anywhere. Then we follow it up with breakfast. With the movement and nutrition combined, the actual metabolic boost in your body can last up to 24 hours! This is how we maximize your metabolism for weight loss.
Now let's have some fun with it. We've got 50 different Metaboosts, and eight different categories that they are designed for. Some are designed to strengthen your cardio respiratory system, some are designed to help shape and develop your muscle, and some are designed for muscle endurance. As we reshape the nation together, I'm gonna mix-and-match each of these state challenges and their meta boosts in every which way – to keep your body guessing, and make our journey together fast, easy, and most importantly, fun.
What are 'Accelerators'?
They are walking intervals that I teach you. Walking has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to optimize fat-burning… and there's no secret as to why the most incredible weight loss success stories have been accomplished through good nutrition and walking!
I will give you a new Accelerator to do every day – Monday through Friday. I continue to deliver them with the daily State Metaboosts and NutriPhases to maximize your results. We have accelerators ranging from as little as 15 minutes for those just starting out, to 60 minutes for those who are well on their journey.
On the Weight Loss Journey
It seems like I have to eat a lot of food. Do I have to eat so much?
Yes! Welcome to weight loss 101. The more you eat the more you lose. When losing weight, we MUST eat a lot of bulk, just not a lot of calories. That is why the foods on this program are real, whole foods – high in fiber and 'bulk', low in calories. When beginning the program, it is important to eat somewhat aggressively, since it may be difficult to get all of the food in. Don't worry, you will adjust to it quickly!
How long will it take for my body to get used to this much food?
It takes about 3 days. That's when your 'metabolic clock' will be set. You will know it because you will finally find yourself hungry every three hours.
My weight loss has stalled. What do I do?
Be patient. This is completely natural and expected. There are some phases when your weight loss will stall. We will keep switching through phases that play very specific roles in your body – they will either focus more on boosting metabolic rate (slower weight loss) or burning fat (faster weight loss). We cant have one without the other!
However, here's a couple suggestions for how to speed things up:
- Eat more Veggies (I cant stress this one enough!)
- Drink more water (at least a gallon a day)
- Reduce 'reward days'
- Cut 'flavors' in half
In which NutriPhase will I lose the fastest?
This is a fun one. It all depends. It depends on your BodyShape, the amount of activity during your days, and how your body responds to the phases. Everyone loses faster in different phases.
Will I gain weight when I 'Reset'?
Nope!! That's the beauty of this. If anything your weight will just plateau. I do understand that it takes a 'leap of faith' to Reset, since there is a significant increase in the volume of food you are eating.
But just trust the pattern – it works. You will be surprised. In fact, most people DROP weight during the 'Reset' phase. Keep an eye on the blogs for a physiological explanation why! It's actually pretty fascinating.
How much water should I be drinking?
I always recommend a gallon a day. Here's why:
- It is an easy thing to measure
- It is usually enough to keep you well hydrated
*to get all of your water, use my '10-gulp rule': every time you take a drink, you must take 10 gulps before putting the bottle down. Learn to breathe through your nose!
How do I curb my cravings?
We ALL have cravings. Do not be alarmed if you find yourself craving your old 'comfort foods' as you are making your transition to a healthier lifestyle. The key is to effectively manage these cravings as you experience them.
Tip #1: Drink LOTS of water. Always try to drink at least a gallon a day.
Tip #2: Chew mint-flavored gum, eat a breath mint, or even put a little bit of toothpaste to your mouth… seriously! The mint flavor is great for suppressing your appetite and will hold you over until the next meal. This one is a Reshape the Nation crew favorite!
Tip #3: Eat foods high in fiber. Fiber acts like brakes on your food, so it stays in the stomach and small intestine longer, keeping you full. Studies have found that people who eat high fiber foods in the morning (example: oatmeal or fiber in protein shakes) are half as likely to overeat later in the day!
Tip #4: Consume a little fat! Good fats, of course. Simply eat one tablespoon of your favorite healthy fat, set your timer for 15 minutes and Bam! You will have conquered your sweet and salty craving! Pretty cool.
Why do healthy foods taste bland?
The first reaction to healthy food is that it seems to taste bland. This is because the heavy sweeteners, chemicals and additives that are used in our everyday food actually destroy our taste buds so that they cannot taste real food. Because of this damage, we require sweeter and saltier foods than ever before to satisfy our taste buds.
Trick of the taste buds: Make the switch over to 'clean' foods for one week. At first, these foods may taste a bit bland because we have already damaged our tastebuds. After one week the taste buds will grow back. Go ahead and try some of your old foods, and you'll think you're tasting them for the first time again! Sweet foods will taste even sweeter, and fatty foods will taste pretty darn greasy!
What about artificial sweeteners?
Most sugar-free foods and diet drinks are sweetened with artificial sweeteners such as Splenda® (sucralose) and aspartame. They can be a useful tool for getting accustomed to your new healthy lifestyle. However, these are still chemicals and may have adverse side effects on your body. Stevia is a natural sweetener that is very low in calories and a wonderful substitute. I highly encourage you to transition away from artificial sweeteners and over to real, whole, natural foods and drinks.
What do you mean by 'Reading the signs'?
Along the road to any destination, it is important that we read the signs that are there to help guide us. The same goes for the road to our transformation – we all NEED signs. Most people will attempt to gauge their physical successes off of the numbers they see on the scale. A scale can definitely be our friend when measuring our weight-loss, but it is important to understand that we will not see true and accurate measurements of our weight loss on the scale but once every week. If you are interested in some other valuable 'road signs' for assurance that you are on track, check these:
Other than weight, what are the 'signs' I need to watch for?
Sign #1: Clothing and Inches – Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. They are the BEST gauge of your progress.
Sign #2: Energy Levels & Body Temperature – These will fluctuate as we cycle our nutrition from High to Low Carb days. You will notice a nice boost of energy and a body temperature rise on High Carb days as your body consumes higher quantities of 'fuel'. Low Carb days (low 'fuel' days) will result in decreased energy and decreased body temperature. Don't be alarmed if you feel your 'energy-zapped' and a bit foggy-minded without all of those carbs. This is normal and it's only temporary!
Sign #3: Appetite & Cravings – These will also fluctuate as we cycle through our High and Low Carb days! If you have already attempted High and Low Carb days, you will not be surprised when I point out that Low Carb days typically result in an increased appetite, as well increased cravings. Oh boy… sweet potatoes are 10x more appetizing on my low carb days! As you are loading your body up on High Carb days, you will notice that your appetite and cravings will be minimal.
Sign #4: Water Retention and Flushing – One more reason NOT to rely only on the scale… our bodies will naturally retain water during the High Carb days, and will flush this water during the Low Carb days. As a result, there will be some noticeable fluctuation on the scale. So for those of you that INSIST upon daily weigh-ins, consider this your 'heads up'. Do NOT be surprised when you see the scale rise 4 lbs one day, drop 5 lbs the next… rise 2 lbs, drop 3 lbs…
When should I weigh myself?
Weigh yourself only once a week. Keep in mind that it takes roughly one to two weeks to get a truly accurate change on the scale. We have a tendency to rely on our weight as a gauge of our success, but see the "Reading the Signs" section instead to help guide you through the phases. You will notice that weight is the last item on the list. That's because it takes the longest to gauge an accurate change. To determine if you need to change phases, your weight should plateau for at least two weeks before making the decision to transition to the next phase.
What is happening if I am losing inches but not weight?
For the first several weeks of the program, you may actually maintain weight on the scale, but lose inches and clothing sizes. This is called "recomposition" and refers to the body building muscle and burning fat, and shedding water at the same time. It will only happen for a couple weeks while your body is adjusting to the new food intake and exercise, then you will notice a drop on the scale as muscle gain slows and fat burning increases.